Thanks to modern dental treatment options, more people and celebrities can afford a smile. Without these treatment options, a lot of the TV stars we know about would have probably never rose to fame. Thanks to modern techniques and veneers in particular though, more people have picture perfect smiles. Veneers have become a popular option when it comes to teeth alignment and improving the shape of teeth. More people are opting them over other available options but how viable are they? Are veneers meant for all? What are some of the shortcomings of veneers? Are they worth it? Before we delve deep into the pros and cons of veneers, let’s quickly take a look at what veneers are and where they are used. So, what are veneers?
Veneers are thin pieces of porcelain molded to perfectly fit your teeth and are attached to the front of your tooth with an aim of improving the aesthetic value of the teeth. Although porcelain is the predominant material used in the molding of veneers, resin and other composite materials are sometimes used to make the veneers. Veneers are used to improve the appearance of the tooth by altering the shape, color and size of your tooth.
Veneers are used when one has discolored teeth, chipped or broken teeth, to bridge gaps between teeth and to generally improve the aesthetic appearance of one’s teeth. Once installed, veneers can last anything from 7 to 20 years depending on the nature of foods the owner eats and how they are maintained.
Pros of Veneers
- Veneers are very instrumental when it comes to boosting self-confidence of the patient. This is because irrespective of the dental flaw one is suffering from, veneers will always help one achieve a flawless smile.
- Veneers are also easily customized which means that they can be molded to specifically fit your teeth. This makes it almost impossible for someone else to tell the difference between your original teeth and the veneers. The fact that they are highly customization makes them ideal for very many people as they can achieve whatever look they are after.
- Veneers also require very little or no maintenance at all. This is due to the fact that they are just bonded to your teeth and no additional procedures like drilling or shaping are required. This means that you won’t need any additional visits to the dentists after they are installed.
- Veneers are highly durable. Depending on the way one uses them, they can last anything between 7 years and 20 years before they need to be replaced again. This makes them ideal and cost effective. When compared with the other dental treatment options available such as braces which require you to constantly go back for changes and tightening, they are a more viable option.
- Veneers don’t have a specific age groups or dental complications that they can help correct. They are a dynamic option which can be widely used to correct a number of dental problems. From bridging gaps between teeth to changing the color of teeth, veneers can be used for number of uses in people of all age groups.
Cons of Veneers
- Unlike natural teeth, veneers don’t change color once installed. We all know that natural teeth change color over time and there are different shades which will vary over time. This is not the case with veneers however which will never change color and will retain their initial color. This means that over time when the other teeth change color in the mouth, there will be a notable difference between the two and the look can be awkward.
- Veneers can be costly. Depending on the amount of customization you require, veneers can be pretty expensive. They may cost anything between $1,000 and $3500.
- Porcelain and other composite materials are prone to cracking and chipping. Depending on the way the user handles the installed veneers, they can last for long or break away after just a few months. People who like to grind teeth or bite nails therefore are advised not to use veneers because they will quickly deteriorate and break away eventually.
- Veneers can’t solve some complex dental problems. When malocclusions are severe, veneers are not ideal and will not help solve the situation.
- Teeth can easily decay under the veneers without the owner noticing. This leads to even more serious complications. It is wise therefore to maintain good oral hygiene when you have the veneers lest you risk suffering from unnoticed dental decay.
If you are in Houston and are looking for the best veneers then look no further than Katy Dental Care. We offer high quality veneers at a competitive rate. If you want more information on veneers and their suitability on you, then visit our offices today and we will gladly help you.