Dental braces have become the most widespread orthodontic treatment option in the world and it is easy to see why. Thanks to their efficiency in correcting malocclusions, dental braces have become very popular in the world. Do they live up to the hype though? Are braces worth the price? What are some of the pros and cons of dental braces?
Although braces are highly effective, they have their own shortcomings and are not ideal for everyone. Before we delve deep into the pros and cons of the braces though, we want to take a quick look at what brace are and where they are applicable as far as dental treatment is concerned. So what are dental braces?
Dental braces involve a system of wires, banding and brackets that are placed on a patient’s teeth for a given period of time to straighten the teeth and correct any malocclusions and bite problems. There are very many types of braces and each has its own suitability. Although they are highly effective, braces have their shortcomings as well and we want to explore the pros and cons to establish whether they are worth it;
- Braces are very effective when it comes to the alignment of crooked teeth (crowded, gappy, and/or sticking out), correction of bad bites (under bites or overbites) and repositioning of protruding jaws both in children and adults. The procedure is however more effective on young individuals but adults as well. This is because their dental structure is not fully developed, making it easier to manipulate.
- The use of braces enhances oral hygiene. Bad bites, crooked or loosely held teeth can be very difficult to clean as a result of pain and overlapping of teeth. These conditions expose an individual to dental health problems such as tooth decay, gingivitis, dental carries and/ or teeth loss. Braces therefore improve dental health by correcting these flaws.
- Dental braces also aid in strengthening of gums, enabling them to properly hold teeth in their sockets. Braces not only help straighten teeth but strengthen them as they are held firmly in their desired position. This makes it possible for an individual to avoid chewing problems, jaw flaws and general pain. It also enhances their speech and improves audibility.
- Braces are highly customizable which means that individual can get the desired look by selecting the type of braces he/she deems most appropriate. Some are invisible while others can be given fancy looks using bands.
- Braces are instrumental when it comes to improving the aesthetic appearance of an individual and a lot of the stars we see on TV can only afford a smile because they used braces at one point in their life. They have helped lots of people regain their self-confidence and boost their self-esteem.
Cons of dental braces
- Braces cause some degree of discomfort during treatment. The initial brace fixing procedure is normally accompanied by some degree of discomfort and minimal pain. For most individuals, the pain persists longer even after fixing but subsides after some time. This pain is a result of the pressure that is exerted on the teeth by the braces.
- It also causes soreness in the mouth and the tongue. Most dental braces are made of metals, plastics or a combination of both. A slight dislocation of the braces causes poking of the cheeks, the tongue or the jaws since the mouth cavity is lined by smooth tissues.
- In some cases, patients are allergic to the materials used for the brace matter, posing them to great side effects. Some patients have reported rashes on the tongue, cheeks and lips, making it difficult for them to feed. It is therefore important to ensure that you consult with your dentist and explain any allergies before getting braces.
- Braces can be pretty expensive. Depending on the nature of malocclusion and type of braces you opt for, braces can cost anything from $800 to $2800. This means that they are not available to all those who need them.
- Braces require a lot of checkups and follow-up visits to the dentists for tightening. Maintain and cleaning teeth with braces can be tedious as well. Braces limit you when it comes to eating foods because there are some food types that you cannot eat when you have braces.
All in all the positives outweigh negatives and braces are more than efficient when it comes to straightening teeth. If you are suffering from any form of teeth misalignment therefore, braces should rankly highly in the list of viable treatment options. If you are in Houston and are looking for more information on braces, then contact us today and book an appointment with us. We have professional dentists here in Vita who have specialized in braces and we offer a wide range of braces at competitive rates. Give us a call today for the best dental braces in Houston.