Pediatric dentistry specializes in the oral health of children from as young as 6 months old and up to their teenage years. At Vita Dental, we specialize in dental care for kids and in diagnosing, analyzing, and treating various oral concerns experienced by infants, children, and young adults, such as cavities, baby teeth falling off, gum disease, demineralization of teeth, malocclusion, etc.
When Should You Take Your Child in for Their First Dental Visit?
According to general recommendations, you should take your child to the dentist for their first visit when they are six months to a year old. This is when your child’s baby teeth start to grow and allowing a dentist to monitor their growth closely is crucial. Subsequently, you should consider taking your child to the dentist at least once every six months for a routine consultation.
What Pediatric Dentistry Services Do We Offer?
- Dental Fillings: Fillings are widely used for restoring teeth affected by decay (cavities). Although traditionally made from metals like gold, silver, or amalgam, fillings are now tooth-colored and made from dental-grade ceramic or composite resin, both of which are biocompatible and safe to use on children.
- Oral Cleaning:Oral cleaning involves scaling and root planing. Scaling uses an ultrasonic appliance to remove tartar deposits from the surface of teeth and root planing removes tartar from the tooth roots, smoothing out any surface imperfections and clearing out food residues and microbial debris from the gum pockets.
- Dental Sealants: Sealants are used for covering the grooves on the upper face of the molars and premolars. They keep microbes and food debris from getting deposited in the occlusal grooves, thereby significantly reducing the risk of developing cavities.
- Fluoride Treatment:Fluoride is a mineral that increases the immunity of teeth to oral bacteria and helps reduce the risk of developing cavities. We recommend fluoride treatment for children who don’t receive an adequate amount of fluoride from drinking water and the toothpaste they use. In this procedure, we apply a topical fluoride gel to the teeth, allowing the fluoride molecules to strengthen the teeth and fight against demineralization.
- Orthodontic Treatment:Orthodontic solutions are used for changing the alignment of the teeth in cases of malocclusion. Options include conventional metal braces, clear braces, or Invisalign.
- Monitoring the growth of teeth: It is crucial to monitor the development of your child’s teeth closely, especially when their baby teeth fall out and the permanent ones start to grow. Our dentists can monitor tooth growth and also make any required interventions like extracting baby teeth to avoid crowding.
If you would like to schedule a pediatric dentistry consultation and get your children’s oral concerns addressed, don’t hesitate to call Vita Dental at (713) 766-1208 or make an online appointment, and we'll be happy to help.