General dentistry includes diagnosis and treatment for almost all types of common oral concerns. Much like general physicians treat common health conditions, general dentists provide primary care and treat patients of all age groups - from infants to the elderly. They provide general family dental services, making dental visits more convenient and hassle-free.
What Services Do General Dentists Provide?
- Routine Visits: Regular dental consultations with the dentist are vital in determining the onset of any unforeseen oral conditions. During your consultation, the dentist will look into aspects like cavities, tartar deposits, damaged teeth, malocclusion, receding gum line, gum disease, unhealthy growth of soft tissues, etc.
- Fillings:Dental fillings made from metals like amalgam and silver are no longer in use. Fillings are now tooth-colored and made from biocompatible ceramic or composite resin. They do not cause any toxic reactions and offer excellent aesthetics and sealing properties. Fillings are used for fixing cavities and for covering cracks or exposed root surfaces.
- Restorations:Dental restorations are used for restoring damaged teeth, replacing extracted or missing teeth, supporting weak or extremely worn out teeth, etc. Some of the most popular options include dental crowns, veneers, bridges, implants, and dentures.
- Composite Bonding: Bonding is the process of applying a composite resinous material on the teeth in multiple layers and hardening them using a curing light. It is used for treating chipped or naturally misshapen teeth, filling cavities, covering cracks or exposed root surfaces that are too sensitive.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics is a speciality that diagnoses and treats malocclusion. It uses orthodontic appliances like dental braces or Invisalign, both of which work on the same principle of gently moving the teeth to their orthodontically correct positions by applying pressure.
- Cosmetic Services:Cosmetic dental procedures are used for improving the aesthetics of the smile by making subtle changes to the appearance of the teeth. Popular procedures include teeth whitening, dental veneers, and bonding.
- Periodontal Treatment:Treating periodontitis and other gum issues helps enhance your overall oral health. Treatments include removing tartar deposits and decayed gum tissues, using medication to treat infections, and grafting healthy tissues in place of the receded ones to increase gum volume.
- Oral Cleaning:Two distinct procedures make up oral cleaning - scaling and root planing. Scaling removes bacterial deposits from the teeth using an ultrasonic scaling appliance, while root planing deeply cleans and removes tartar deposits from the tooth roots. Oral cleaning also involves clearing out the deep gum pockets and smoothing out imperfections.
If you would like to schedule a consultation with one of our general dentists and get your oral concerns addressed, don’t hesitate to call Vita Dental at (713) 766-1208 or make an online appointment with Dentist in Katy, and we'll be happy to help.